Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Our August Garden

Considering that August is nearly over, I am a little late in my August garden post. This year I was a bit too busy during August to give it the love and attention it deserved, and so it is not thriving as much as it should be. That said, it is still providing for us and it is magnificent habitat for all sorts of creatures. In fact, it is an (almost) daily ritual of mine to sit in the garden and watch the bees hard at work... I think this is probably pretty evident in my photos too....
Despite the fact that our garden is not providing copious amounts of food, we are still harvesting on a daily basis. We have heirloom tomatoes (plenty for eating and sharing, just not enough to can), herbs like dill, parsley and basil, kale, blackberries, grapes that are just turning red, and beets. After not producing for most of August, our hot pepper and zucchini plants are now starting on a second round.. and for that, I cannot wait! We also have about an armload of winter squash that should be ready in the next couple of weeks.
I have a lot of work to get our fall garden all put in the ground, and I hope to find some time after the kiddos start school.









Pin It Now!

7 comments:

  1. Though we planted a ton in our garden, the only thing that produced was the basil and oregano plants.

    Guess we are going to be making basil and pasta sauce ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your photos! I loved that you captured the bee on the flower and the tiny snail. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. we have loads of tomatoes but not much else (well peppers but I don't eat those...too hot). Love the flowers and the bees!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your pictures. So glad you are having a bountiful harvest this year. Enjoy the week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. these photos are beautiful!! is one of them of parsley seeds? i have parsley going to seed and it looks just like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, these photos are incredible! Beautifully captured. Be well.

    ReplyDelete