Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

37



Today I celebrate my 37th trip around the sun! 37!!  In some ways, 37 seems really old.... and when I think back to everything I have done in those 37 years, it is pretty amazing. But really, 37 is just the beginning. I am just really starting to understand (and accept) who I am and what I need.
Some days I feel like I am not yet where I should be in life: I have a job, but I am not sure if it will be my "career", our house is really in need of some love (and a second bathroom), and we have a pretty good chunk of debt and zero savings for the kids' college or our retirement. When I was younger, say 20, I thought that 37 was old. I was certain that by the time I was 37, I would have a great career, a perfect house and savings for retirement... but now that I am older, I realize that life doesn't work that easily. Things are expensive and life comes with hard choices.
But, in the long run, it is not the money, the possessions, and the accomplishments that really matter. Of course, doing great things and being comfortable in life are important, but the ride you take along the way is what really matters. Maybe I only work part-time, but I get to spend most of my days with my two amazing kiddos. Plus, I get summers off and I am able to go exploring and go on adventures. Maybe we don't have a big house or lots of money to spend, but we have what we need and we have enough to have fun.
So today, at 37, I am grateful for where I am in life. Even if I am not quite where I expected I would be, the place where I am is good. Life, especially with kids in tow, is an adventure, and although I am not sure where we are headed, I know I am enjoying the ride.

Pin It Now!

4 comments:

  1. happiest of birthdays to you dear friend! May you have a fun filled day with family and friends and presents! (oh and cake!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happiest of days to you my friend. Life is never what we expect it will be, but like you, I have found it is actually much better :)

    Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! August is a great month to be born in! Hope you have a fantastic day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! One of my favorite quotes and one of the reason's I finally quit my job as a librarian comes from Tom Hodgkinson. "Forget about your pension and get a life!" Live in the present and the future will take care of itself.

    ReplyDelete