Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Monday, April 22, 2013

Celebrating Earth Day

Happy Earth Day! Are you celebrating Earth Day today? This is what we have been doing to celebrate:

Earth Art! On Saturday, Finn and I made a stained glass planet Earth and the kids made planet-colored apple prints (once again, please ignore my very dirty windows):





Sunday morning, Finn and I headed to a local wetland area to volunteer in an Earth Day tree planting. Unfortunately, the planting was Saturday, and we had missed it.... bummer! We took some time to walk around the pond and enjoy the scenery, and Finn told me that I should get glasses so that I can do a better job of reading the correct date for next time!


Sunday afternoon, the whole family headed to a nearby nature preserve for a short hike and some wildflower viewing. I guess if we couldn't plant any trees at least we could enjoy them.




I finished off the day yesterday by going to see Bill McKibbon's new film Do the Math. It's a film about climate change and it was hugely inspiring. I will write more about it soon.

Today we are hoping to squeeze in a hike to spend some time in nature and also planning on picking up trash from around our neighborhood.

Do you have Earth Day plans?


Pin It Now!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a perfect way to celebrate! Gorgeous pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the earth art! I'm going to borrow these ideas for our earth day/week celebrations, if you don't mind :) With my grands...we'll be potting some seeds, too.

    Have a great week! ~ paula

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful way to celebrate! Your stained glass earth is beautiful. :)

    I love the picture of Finn and Phoebe hiking the boardwalk. So sweet! Happy Earth Day from a fellow environmental scientist!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ate vegetables on earth day, but I do that every day ;) Can't wait to hear about do the math. I truly believe we contribute with the environment and the crazy weather!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that stained glass art! Happy Earth Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great way to celebrate. We did celebrate today, and had a great time, will share all the fun tomorrow on the blog :)

    ReplyDelete