Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Thursday, April 5, 2012

A Family Vacation

Portland winters can be a bit rough, especially around March and April when the rest of the country is getting sun and we still have 40's and raining. Every year that we have lived here, Todd and I have talked about planning a vacation in the spring-- going somewhere warm and sunny. And every year we found an excuse of why we couldn't go. However, this year, 2012, was the year of the warm spring vacation. We did it!
We headed to Florida because my folks have a house there, so we had a free place to stay, and somehow, plane tickets were ridiculously cheap. We had a blast: theme parks, pools, mini golf, beaches, and even a boat tour where we got to see alligators, manatees, turtles, snakes, and other wildlife. It was warm, sunny and lovely. However, I have now learned that a vacation to a warm and sunny place is not exactly relaxing when you have 2 small kids. Gone are the days of reading by the pool, napping on the beach, or sleeping in. Roller coasters at theme parks were traded in for Dr. Suess rides and kid areas, and romantic dinners were traded in for cooking at home or ordering pizza. Tears were shed daily, especially on the 15 hour journey back to Portland. But, we had fun. It was an adventure to be remembered, with lots of good family time.
For those of you whose blogs I normally read, I have been neglecting reading them because we had only sporadic internet service. But, I have not forgotten you, and now, as I adjust back to the real world (of cold and rain nonetheless), I promise I will be reading blogs again instead of just writing them!
Here are a few of the pictures from our trip:












Pin It Now!

8 comments:

  1. It looks like a lovely break for the cool Portland spring! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the water looks great! cant wait to get to the beach this summer! ...after the baby is delivered :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! We are debating heading to Florida this summer. The idea of doing it with two toddlers and a baby makes me a bit nervous, but these pictures really tempt me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband's tried to convince me that a beach vacation (Destin, FL) would be just the break we need. Relaxing on the sand, swimming in the warm water . . .

    Reality check: Honey, we have a 9-month-old. "Relaxing" is not the first word that comes to MY mind when I think about taking a trip with him and upsetting our normal routine.

    I'm glad you enjoyed yourselves despite the challenges, and congrats for being braver than me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you had a wonderful time. We have yet to vacation since the birth of our little man for the reasons you discovered. I think next year we will take the plunge and visit my parents when they are south for the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you got a vacation. Spring break was especially gross here in Portland this year. Phoebe looks like she got her first tan!Where are the Taryn bikini shots?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, you were in my neck of the woods! I hear you about "vacationing" with little ones -- not as relaxing :-) but I'm glad you all were able to get away to a warm place.

    ReplyDelete