Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A Gift for a New Big Brother

We knew the transition of having a sibling would probably be difficult, at least at times, and so Todd and I planned ahead and prepared a few gifts for the new big brother. We did purchase a really cool pirate ship that was a present from Phoebe to Finn, and that pirate ship has been a hit!
I also decided to make him a fishing game as a big brother present from me and Todd. His best friend Aoife's crafty mama made her a similar one, and I borrowed the idea from her, as Finn loves to play that game at her house. I made 6 felt fish with metal rings in their mouths and 2 fishing poles with magnetic "hooks". I then found a really cute basket at Goodwill for $2.99 to keep it all in. So far, it has been well-loved. The only slight problem is that fishing poles (even short ones) and little babies don't mix well, so we have had to make a rule that he can't play the fishing game near the baby....
Finn has done a great job as big brother so far, and I honestly do think a little hand-made loved helped eased the transition from only child, or at least it has provided some distraction for him while we are taking care of his little sister. But, I can honestly say that I am nothing but proud of my little man and the way that he has handled this!

Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. So cute!!!! Thank you so much for posting this! Logan's 6th birthday is coming up and I've been racking my brain trying to think of something Felicity can help me sew for him. This will be perfect and he's been pretend fishing with sticks and shoe strings for a week now. Hope the new big brother continues to adjust well. Oh, and your talk of homebirthing has reignited my dream, which I finally told my husband about and guess what....he wants to do it too!!! I'm so excited!!! So, hopefully we'll have a 4th one day....at home! :) Can't wait to hear Phoebe's birth story. Hope you post it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great to hear that Finn is doing well!
    Solomon has already destroyed his fish game that Wintry made for his birthday. The pole and heavy magnet hook makes quite the weapon doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete