Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Friday, April 16, 2010

Make Your Own Produce Bags


I think that many of us have started to bring our own reusable shopping bags to the grocery store each week. But what about all of those plastics bags that we use to put our produce or bulk items in? In the past, I have tried to just not take bags for my produce unless absolutely necessary, which works, but can leave you with a wet, messy shopping bag and produce that wilts more quickly in the fridge. For bulk items, I try to bring items home in the bulk bags, rinse them out and put them back in the grocery bag so that I can re-use them again the following week. However, a few weeks ago I decided it was time to make some real reusable produce and bulk bags that I could use week and week again and reduce my use of plastics.
I made this set of 5 bags in about 20 minutes using some non-bleached muslin fabric that I already had in my fabric box. All I did was cut a piece of fabric twice as big as I wanted the bag to be, fold it in half and sew up 2 of the other sides leaving the top open. I then quickly sewed a 1/2 inch seem around the top of each bag and used a piece of hemp rope to thread through the seam and become a drawstring. Easy and much cheaper than the $4 a piece that these same bags are selling for at my local grocery. Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment