Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Yarn Along

Joining in with Ginny at Small Things for today's yarn along. I am just one row done with Phoebe's Helena sweater. I am sure I will finish it up tonight, although all of this warm weather has made me fairly unmotivated to knit! I promise that I will have finished and modeled pictures to show you next week.
I am reading Bill McKibbon's The End of Nature, which is an environmental classic written back in 1989. This is my first time reading it, and although I appreciate the writing, the book is focused on global warming and the information is (obviously) so outdated, that it is a bit hard to get through. It is interesting, however, to read his warning and predictions from long ago and to see how close to reality many of them have come.
I also just started The Shock Doctrine, a non-fiction about how governments around teh world use times of disaster and crisis to implement new economic regimes . I actually read the first 100 or so pages of this book long ago (almost 2 years?) but had to return it to the library before I finished. I am hoping this go-round will be more successful.
And, because these books are both non-fictioin (and pretty depressing) and I re-reading The Hobbit,  which I haven't read for many years, to have some fantasy for when I need to escape.
What are you reading? What are you knitting? Pin It Now!

7 comments:

  1. Love the sweater! I am so close to finishing one as well. Can't wait to see the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really has been too hot to knit lately. I have been able to manage some lace weight but that's about it. I can't wait to see your sweater complete!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting to being so close to finishing! It's hot here too which makes it hard to think about wearing knits.
    I haven't read the Hobbit in years, but my son has read it several times this year, it's his favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see that sweater :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not reading...unless you count your blog ;) not knitting, but watching my mom knit me a beautiful shawl with beads! Wish I could say I was doing more of something, but just trying to get through the summer, keeping everyone happy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful color choice! I've never graduated to a sweater...yet.
    xo

    ReplyDelete