Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Yarn Along and A FINISHED SWEATER! (woot-woot)

Joining in with Ginny at Small Things for this week's yarn along. So, my awesomely spectacular news is that I finished my sweater for Phoebe! My first sweater EVER, and it was done on size 2 and 3 needles, so even though it is little, it took a long time. This was my first time picking up stitches, sewing on sleeves, and adding trim. I learned a ton. In the end, I thought it came out pretty darn well. I forgot to decrease on one of the front flaps, which made the right shoulder seam a little bunchy, but hey, if that is my worst complaint about this thing, I'll take it. The bad size is I made the 9-12 month size. Phoebe just turned 8 months yesterday, and it is already a bit snug. Apparently these weren't sized on chubby babies. Anyways, I plan to squeeze her into it for as long as I can. And now I am sweater-addicted and want to make her many more!
This week I have been knitting a simple hat for Finn... mindless and on size 7 needles, which feels like a world of difference from size 2's! I am addicted to that color green and actually bought more of that color yarn today. In books I am still reading Dragonflight, which I started a couple of weeks ago. I have read quite a few things in between, but have been taking my time on this. I am not quite hooked yet, but have made it halfway and hope to polish it off in the coming days.
I took a trip to the yarn store today and stocked up for my next few knitting projects. I'll give you a clue: One is for another sweater (already? yes!) and neither will be on needles smaller than a size 7!!


Pin It Now!

11 comments:

  1. How sweet she is, and the color is so pretty on her. Looks like she approves :) It must feel wonderful to finish a project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your first sweater looks perfect in every way! Your model is a sweetie too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it- and what a great model you have there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful sweater and a beautiful girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a triumph! Yay for your little one's finished sweater...it looks so sweet on her. I am enjoying flipping through Ginny's links and getting myself all knitting inspired!

    :)Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! I totally understand your excitement, I just finished my first two cardigans and feel like just about anything is possible now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely sweater, and an even lovelier model. The colour looks great on her.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. what an adorable sweater and baby! and so beautiful for your very first, it looks wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful! It looks beautiful on her!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on your first sweater, P looks irresistibly adorable! I can understand why your hooked!

    ReplyDelete