Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Yarn Along, A Call for Help, and A Special Guest Post


Happy Yarn Along! Joining with Ginny of Small Things today....

I am almost done with Phoebe's poncho but I need to set it aside for a special cause.... one of my best friends lost her three year old niece several years ago to cancer. Breaks-my-heart-sad. So, this month, her family is holding an auction to raise money for childhood cancer.  It is a sweater-weather auction, and they are auctioning off hand-knits for cool weather: hats, mittens, cowls, sweaters, etc. Pretty cool, huh? So, I am knitting some arm warmers (and hopefully something else if I work fast enough). Any of you super-knitters want to pitch in and donate a hand-knit for the auction? The children will thank you! If so, give me your email and I can give you the details. Thanks!

In the world of reading, I am still reading Bottlemania: How Water Went on Sale and Why We Bought It, a non-fiction about bottled water by Elizabeth Royte (I didn't get much reading done at Burning Man!).  I also started Sometimes A Great Notion by Ken Kesey. I am drawn to the book because it takes place in Oregon, but, if you have read much Kesey, it is sometimes hard to filter through his thought process. It is a long one, and I have a feeling I will be reading it for awhile.

What are you reading? What are you knitting?

And, if you have a few extra minutes today, jump over to visit Amber at My Open Roads. I have a guest post on style! Thanks! Pin It Now!

3 comments:

  1. How kind of you to help your friend! I lost a dear friend to cancer last year, I still miss her. Wishing you well with your project. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in for the knitting project, I have a few cowls already knit up...send me the details and I will send them along :)

    kimcorrigan_oliver at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. So wonderful of you to be knitting to help such a great cause. Good luck with it all.
    Clare
    http://summerhousebythesea.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete