Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

The Daddy Phase


It's here. Phoebe is in the daddy phase. And she is in DEEP.
Actually, it caught me off guard since I had forgotten all about it. But, thinking back, it happened with Finn right around this same age. And Phoebe is in the thick of it now.
Can I complain for a moment?
She hugely prefers her daddy (despite the fact that I am the one who takes care of 90% of her needs). Phoebe and I will have days where it is one tantrum after another. Hitting me and kicking me, rolling on the floor yelling. On and off all day long. And then when daddy walks in the door it's like none of it ever happened. She is smiley and happy and said daddy thinks his wife is crazy for saying that Phoebe was a wee bit of a monster all day.
She will lavish hugs and kisses on daddy and when mommy sneaks in to ask for one, she screams "no!" and pushes me away. Only daddy can put her to bed, only dad can calm her sorrow and she only wants daddy to hold her. I try and get her breakfast and she only wants her daddy to get it. I try and get her dressed and she screams and runs away from me. I try and change her diaper and she screams for daddy (OK, so that part is not so bad...) But, most of the time, she wants nothing to do with me. I am so chopped liver.
I know it is just a phase, and yes, I know that I shouldn't take it personally, but it still hurts.
Anyways, I am trying to remind myself that this, like all things at this age, it is temporary and will be over before I know it (I hope). And until then, I will keep reminding myself that she does love me even if it doesn't really appear that way most of the time... (she does, right?)
We mamas have to sacrifice a lot for our kiddos. Most of my sacrificing seems to come in the form of my sanity, but I know that it will all be worth it in the end. Pin It Now!

4 comments:

  1. You know my son when through a very very long dad phase and I adjusted. Who knew that through high school I would be the parent he would yak on about the comings and goings and drama in school? I loved every single minute of it :) Good luck, and it's more knitting time for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How come my little man never had a daddy phase??? Feeling a little left out here.

    But seriously (as Reece would say) she does love you, hang in there, and enjoy the little bit of free time it might give you while she hangs with daddy.

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Hazel is just starting a daddy phase... glad to know it's normal :)

    ReplyDelete