Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Pants for Your Little Ones


Sewing pants for your toddler or baby is easy and quick. Once you get the hang of it, it only takes about 15 minutes to make a pair. Try using extra material you have around the house, or think about re-purposing an old t-shirt or skirt you have lying around.
You can simply use a pair of baby pants in the size that you want as your "pattern". Just be forewarned that cloth diaper wearing babies will need more room in the butt area than babies who wear disposables. If you don't leave enough material for the diaper, you will end up with 'low-rise' toddler pants. Ask me how I know this. And they are probably not what you are looking for.
For step-by-step directions on exactly how to make these pants, check out the rookie moms webpage.
A few more tips: When cutting out your pants, make sure you leave enough room at the top for the pants to get folded over the elastic-- this is where trimming it down too much could leave you with baby low-riders. Also, I like to double-sew the inside seam area, as I know how much kiddos move around. That way I am not back fixing them after 2 wears. Oh yeah, and make sure to wash your material first (if you are not re-purposing). You don't want the fabric to shrink after you have made the pants! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment