Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Paper or Plastic?


I think most of us have had it ingrained into our brains by now.... paper or plastic? Neither! (but if you have to choose, choose paper!). Plastic bags are made from oil (which is being depleted and pollution from using oil is contributing to global warming). Plus they don't degrade, so they either fill up our landfills, or more likely they end up in the ocean, and can harm birds and aquatic life. Paper bags, although easier on the Earth than plastic, are made from trees, which are our friends, so why cut them down if we don't need to?
Reusable shopping bags are becoming more and more mainstream, which is a fabulous thing! Try to keep reusable bags in your car (or in your bike or stroller) so you have them with you each time you go shopping. If I forget my bags, I do my best to only buy what I can fit in my purse and/or carry.
You already use reusable bags you say? Great! So, the next step is to re-use your produce bags. You know, the plastic bags you pull off the roll to protect your lettuce, peppers and tomatoes? I have started to rinse out the bags after they are empty, let them dry, and stick them into my reusable shopping bags for my next trip to the market. I also do this with bulk bags as well. That way I don't have to use new plastic bags each time I shop! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment