Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Monday, April 20, 2009

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Review

I recently finished the book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver. This book is amazing and is a must read for anyone interested in gardening and eating local. Kingsolver, who is well known for her works of fiction (Poisonwood Bible is one of my favorites!) provides a wonderful account of a year that she spent eating VERY local- almost everything she ate was grown or raised on her own farm.
I do realize that most of us do not have the space or the time (or the skill!) to provide entirely for ourselves. However, reading this book seriously motivated me. Not only to have an awesome garden this summer, but to just be very aware of where everything I eat is coming from. I have already blogged about the importance of eating local, and this book touches on many of the points I made... with much more sophistication.
The book is interlaced with environmental factoids (from Genetically Modified Foods to carbon footprints) and has some fabulous website references for more detailed information. To top it off, this book comes with recipes for in-season cooking. I can't wait to try some of them out.
So, do yourself a favor and get your hands onto this one. You will be happy you did! For more info on the book, or to check out some of her recipes go to:
http://animalvegetablemiracle.com/
You will be on the road to eating local in no time!
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment