Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Monday, December 6, 2010

Waste = Food: A Review


The film Waste = Food is basically a synopsis of the book Cradle to Cradle,  by William McDonough and Michael Braungart. I read this book awhile back (maybe a year ago?), but when searching for my review of it on this blog, I didn't find it, and realized that I must have read the book and never wrote the review. Anyways, the book is great and focuses on making products that won't go to landfills (with the ultimate goal the elimination of landfills altogether). Essentially only creating products that can be disassembled and reassembled into new parts or products that are completely biodegradable and will go back to the earth as nutrients.
This 50-minute film is based upon the same principles, but focuses on a few specific projects, showing how this idea can (and is) applied in the real world. The film is nothing fancy, but includes some interesting interviews and makes some good points. If we make things completely from natural products, than those products can go back to nature when we are finished with them. And, in this sense, our waste can = food for nature.
These guys have some great ingenious ideas kicking around in their heads and I hope that they continue to revolutionize the world of manufacturing.
You can watch the film in its entirety here, at topdocumentaryfilms.com Pin It Now!

1 comment: