Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Thursday, June 4, 2009

A Natural Cleaning Miracle?


OK, so maybe I am the last person on earth to figure this out, but I thought I would share in case anyone else out that does not know this trick...
Last night I hunkered down to clean the bathtub. It was gross and had a caked on film that I didn't think would ever come off. I started doing what I normally do, which is pour on some baking soda and scrub with an abrasive sponge ( I like the nylon fiber scouring pads). I was having some success, but it just wasn't all coming off, and my arm was starting to hurt from all of the scrubbing. Being the scientist that I am, I decided to spray on some vinegar in addition to the baking soda. Baking soda and vinegar create a chemical reaction (causing a bubbling-foaming thing to happen) and I thought that MAYBE this reaction would react the scum off of my tub. And it DID! I mean, I still had to scrub pretty hard, but it was a whole lot easier than with just baking soda. My entire tub was sparkling white again!
So, if you want to try this at home:
Take an old clean spray bottle and fill it 1 part vinegar (distilled white) to about 5 parts water (but you don't have to measure, it doesn't really matter). I also added in a few drops of tea tree oil as a disinfectant and to cut the vinegar smell. Now, put a generous amount of baking soda onto your nylon scouring pad (I wouldn't use steel wool-- my guess is it would scratch although I have never tried) and rub the baking soda over a small area to be cleaned. Now spray the vinegar solution on the area you just scrubbed (and watch the bubbling magic happen). Scrub back over the area again, and you should notice that the grime comes off much easier!
This concoction is not only chemical-free and safe for you and your family, but it all comes from stuff you likely have sitting in your kitchen! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment