Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Friday, February 26, 2010

Garden Tunnel


This past weekend, with the help of my hubby, I made a garden tunnel in our backyard. It was actually really easy to do-- once we got everything we needed together. We just hammered some rebar into the ground and used 6-foot sections of 1/2 inch PVC pipe to create the shape. I know, I know, PVC is TERRIBLE for the environment and those who make it.... we looked at 2 different re-use stores to try and find some used, but had no luck. So, I gave in and bought new piping, but I have promised myself that when it is retired from the garden tunnel, I will re-purpose it to create a cloche for overwintering vegetables.
Once the rebar and piping was in place, we just used twist-ties to attach some garden netting around the frame. Finn helped me plant some snow peas around the edge, and with any luck, his garden tunnel will be covered in yummy peas in a couple of months. Unfortunately, the only place we had for the tunnel is fairly shaded and doesn't have the best of soils..... so we will be hoping for success! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment